Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Practical Hours


Being an athlete at SUNY Cortland really pays off. This year the SUNY Cortland football team was able to advance to the quarterfinals of the NCAA playoffs before losing. As a starter and a true team player, I can gladly say it was a great season. The whole experience has been one I will never forget and I look forward to taking care of business next year with junior eligibility. Being on the team, we participate in many activities for the community. Starting at the beginning of the semester the football team helped all of the students who live in dorms move into their rooms. Not just one dorm, we were dispersed to certain halls and we stayed their for several hours. It is important to give back to the community and fellow classmates to get the respect we wish for. Another activity which the football team presents is a youth day. There is one day in the spring and also a day during the fall season. This season kids were able to participate in an obstacle course which was set up in one of the gyms and they were also able to come onto the field for pregame. When giving to these kids, I treat them just like I would treat my future students. The youth's eyes are on me and it is just like teaching. It is really something special to see a kid look up to you as a role model. Even as a college athlete, the youth look up to me and watch every move I make. It is important as a college student, and a future teacher to continue to be a role model. I remember when I was younger and would watch the football games and wish to be an athlete just like them. I also decided to pursue a career in physical education because of the role models I had in my middle school and high school levels. I will make sure to be a role model for my future students as my teachers were for me. "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it."- Albert Einstein

No comments: